Sunday, July 10, 2011

Awkward Pauses

Now - before you say anything, I am not deliberately forcing myself to stay up for no reason. I am waiting for the last of a song album to download, because I am afraid that if I don't watch it, it won't download and then I'll feel guilty wasting money, which isn't mine. Because I don't have a job.

Plus I'm drawing, and listening to the part of the album that has downloaded, and it's fun. I think I am getting too used to working in the wee hours of the morning.

And here's another episode that struck me - and my family - as odd:

We were trying out a new Thai restaurant, and we went in, sat down, blah blah, there weren't that many people eating there - maybe two or three other tables full in a fairly large restaurant, and it was just about 6. Though the food was good, and the music selection was excellent, and partly inspired the album-downloading, which is partially why I'm awake, relaying this to you.

Anyways, there was this waitress. She showed us to our table, and filled our glasses of water. Everything she did was very - not slow, exactly, but deliberate. She would pick up a glass, lift it away from the table, fill it, and place it back. She did that for each one. At the same pace. It was almost like she was timing for accuracy or something. (Later she tried to refill brother's glass - she pointed at it while holding up the water jug until one of us noticed...)

And then later, when dad asked for another bowl of rice, she looked slightly confused, and then kind of nodded/fled back to the kitchen, when the lady who took our orders came out and asked us if there was a problem.

So it's not as interesting as the guy speaking through the speakers from the truck, but it was something that seemed slightly unusual and puzzling.

Parents both theorized that she just didn't speak English very well, or hadn't been fully trained and/or was simply shy. Mom said that if I were waiting tables, I would probably behave just like that girl.

I think I would at least manage to say something. Maybe "sure" or "I'll check" or "water?"

...maybe?

No comments:

Post a Comment